Friday, October 2, 2015

Waltz of the Flowers

I was invited to a Christmas gathering at my nephew’s house. Almost everyone was wearing a sweater because of the cold weather. No one was alone because each of us have someone to talk to and has something to talk about. Holidays bring people closer, even those who just met each other at a concert or those who were invited by their friends to come over their house for a Christmas dinner.

I enjoy attending gatherings like this. I look forward to it because I think of it as an opportunity. It’s an opportunity to know people and their views, to meet people and listen to their stories. This is what I tell my students “Be inspired”. When you’re unfamiliar with the piece given to you, then be familiarized. I’m not saying that when the “Piece” is about depression, you should also get yourself depressed. What I’m saying is that you should free your mind, listen and understand other music. Get yourself inspired by other people and their experiences. Let yourself feel what they’ve felt. Let yourself remember the times you’ve lost through the other person.

Everyone was busy, while waiting for dinner. Some can be found in the kitchen. Some are holding a glass of white wine, while defending his argument to a friend. Some are like me, waiting to be approached by a curious little ballerina.

This 6 year old ballerina caught me off guard, enjoying the canapés on the table.
“What are you doing?” she asked.
I replied “Well, Little Miss I’m judging if I should like this canapé”
“I know. What do you do when you’re not judging a canapé?”
“Oh, you mean what do I do?” I answered “I instruct an orchestra”
“You’re like a wizard with a wand, right?” she said

Then I laughed. That was how we started our friendship. I was amazed of what she knows about the orchestra. According to a 6 year old ballerina, an orchestra is a team composed of fairies from the land of snow and the land of sweets, and she is Princess Clara. If you know the famous “Nutcracker and Mouse King” story, you’ll certainly know what’s she’s talking about. Obviously, she’s a fan of the famous sugar plum fairy. She even hummed her favorite part. I told her it’s known as the “Waltz of the flowers”. She decided to show off and dance around the room. Good thing she was wearing a dress. Other guests noticed her immediately, and surrounded the room. She danced and danced, and I hummed “Waltz of the flowers” for her.  Then, she stopped and said “I’m ready to eat now”. We all laughed and gave her a round of applause.

We laughed and talked about her dance over dinner.  I was able to reunite with a high school friend who was teaching in high school. Before we leave, I said my farewell to the 6 year old ballerina and told her what she did back there was great, would love to see her perform onstage next time. She said “Couldn’t do it without you”. We left the conversation talking about this amazing new drink recipe book she found online, we planned to meet up and give the book a try during our next ladies night.

No comments:

Post a Comment